- I want for my neighbor all the same liberties I desire for myself.
- Life is more than my current desires, it is about preparing a better future for others.
- Love is not agreeing on everything or accepting any opinion - it is respecting others you profoundly differ with and searching for ways to work together while debating fundamental ideas.
- Love is not an opposite of justice - it is the real center and circumference of justice. Punishing evil is necessary if we love others and want their safety. Offering redemption and remediation to perpetrators is an essential part of a just world as well.
- Love is not the absence of anger - it is anger transformed into altruistic action.
- Agape love is the proper context for all other affections, from erotic attraction to loyalty as friends.
When I turn on the news or read debates, the missing ingredient is unselfish love. Passion is fine, debate is needed, but it seems that our entire culture is awash with fear and narcissism. We can and must do better. The future of our neighborhood and planet depend on the decisions we make today. I choose Love.