- The fact that there is a cosmos, a universe, a planet custom made for us. Were we thankful today for our breath of life?
- The hope that is renewed in our hearts in the midst of winter's storms.
- The love we enjoy with family and friends.
- The Christmas Story that actually proclaims (in the words of G.K. Chesterton), "Glory to God in the Lowest!" One of the names given to Jesus in the Gospel According to St. Matthew is Immanuel - literally translated, "The With-Us-God."
- The thought that Christmas is the narrative of holy humility, of the Creator condescending to become a flesh-and-blood part of our story.
- Our universal and unquenchable desire for peace - in our own souls and among all nations.
- Millions of ordinary people pausing this Season and doing extraordinary works of service for those who can not return the favor.
- The macrocosmic beauty of galaxies and mountain peaks and the microcosmic intricacies of a single cell. Such Design evokes reverence for the Designer.
- The freedom we have in the nation to debate about and live with our deepest differences while forging a common bond of virtue.
Let's take several moments to enjoy the wonders of Creation, Christmas and laughing children. Perhaps in these moments we will find the courage to embrace the future with the faith, hope and love of Christmas!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Charlie, Kathy, Michael, Charlotte and Christopher Self